Are chronic muscle pain, fatigue and dizziness caused by old age?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I hope so, Dr., I have been suffering with chronic muscle pain in two major areas for more than two months. first area is in the upper chest and collarbone into the left side of the neck, and to the back near the shoulder blade. The second area in the inside of my right thigh at the juxtaposition with the lower pelvis and then down the inside area of the right thigh. Of late I have chronic fatigue and dizziness. Not running any fever, but generally not feeling well. I currently take a blood pressure medicine (Hyzaar), cholesterol inhibitor (generic crestor) and protonix...all once a day. Additionally, I take one 4mg of tizanidine for leg spasms at night. I am 65 and don't know if the onset of these new aches, pains and dizziness are something to be concerning or just age related? Your advice?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Statins related myopathy likely

Detailed Answer:

Statins related myopathy and hepatotoxicity should be looked for and ruled out.

This should be done before symptomatic treatment with pain meds and muscle relaxants are offered.

CPK, urinalysis, renal and liver function tests should be done as part of the workup.

If the aches and pains are severe in the areas you described then the statin can be stopped for a month.

This can help see improvements in the symptoms even in the absence of deranged biochemistry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil, General & Family Physician