Are Wellbutrin and Bupropion the same medications for treating depression?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Is Wellbutrin and bupropion almost the same for treating depression? My Dr. has me taking 2 a day. After to 2 weeks then come back. She says one is more for depression and the other is more for anxiety. I have been taking Fluoxetine for several years.. It seems it wasn't helping as much as it should; that's why they added they added bupropion. My other concern is I could be hurting myself since I have been on so many prescription drugs for several years
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:

They are the same.

Detailed Answer:

Bupropion and Wellbutrin are the same and there is no difference between the two of them.

The former is the generic name of later and other than the name difference no difference exists in regard to the effect on anything.

I do think one for acts of anxiety as bupropion has a little role in anxiety disorders.

It is indicated for only two disorders which include depression and smoking cessation.

I also like to inform you that both Fluoxetine and Bupropion are largely safe medication and your concern about damaging your body is slightly out of proportion.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ashok Kumar, Psychiatrist