Any danger in eating food heated in oven with plastic fume residue?
User rating for this question
Yesterday, we had an incident where plastic had melted in the oven. We cleaned it the best we could and I used the oven today. Now that I ate the food I am worried. Would there be any harm in eating a bit of food from an oven that may have some left over fumes from the plastic?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: No harm can be caused... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX It could be better that once you cleaned your oven, should turn it on and let the plastic melted definitely relieving the fumes. Usually, high temperatures can clean the oven area. Please bare in mind that our body has a defensive mechanism to remove dirties itself. If you have been exposed to such fumes only once, then, nothing wrong will be caused. The main problem relies if exposure is frequent to other hazardous chemicals. Furthermore, you tasted only a bit of the food from that oven. Hope it was of help! Dr.Sonila