Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Am I at risk from cancer due to carcinogen exposure? Smoked carcinogen laced marijuana.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
Am I at risk from cancer due to carcinogen exposure? :

When I was only somewhere between 14 and 17 years old, I was approached by a person that hated me at the time. They asked me to smoke marijuana with them so I did. Looking back on it I find it very strange they wanted to smoke marijuana with me seeing we hated each other. I am afraid they laced the marjuana with a carcinogen, and I am going to get cancer from smoking the carcinogen laced marijuana. I am 21 years old and still don't have cancer yet or any signs of it. Am I in danger of getting cancer from this event? If so how do I convince the police to investigate?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Marijuana is not a carcinogen. The possibility that they laced the marijuana with a carcinogen is remote. The smokable carcinogens are usually found in tobacco (at least what they can get their hands upon). But tobacco even if smoked for one or a few times will not lead to cancer. It takes prolonged and repeated exposure to tobacco to develop a cancer.

Even if we assume it was some other carcinogen, one exposure will not lead to cancer.

It is very reassuring that you are leading a healthy life. To protect your health please refrain from smoking tobacco or marijuana, or for that matter any addiction.

You should put that incident behind you and look towards the future. Police will never get convinced to investigate this incident. It is not worth even trying. Even if they do it now, they will not get any evidence.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Am I at risk from cancer due to carcinogen exposure? Smoked carcinogen laced marijuana. 14 days later
Carcinogens in food am I at risk?
I know I made a post about cancer about a week ago. But I forgot to ask about something so I am posting again. I have been living with a person that hates me and has a criminal background. I was wondering if the following would be possible. Could they have placed carcinogens in my food over an extended period of time to give me cancer? I don't have signs of cancer yet but I am afraid it might develop. I am scared and it would be helpful for me to have an answer about this. Is it possible? If it is possible what should I do? If this is possible is there a way I should approach the police?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Hi and thanks again,

Carcinogens are not available as marketed products which can be mixed in food for a long period However, some types of food may contain carcinogens, like tinned foods and smoked fish, etc.

I am sure it is not possible to 'poison' somebody with carcinogens like that.

Maintain a healthy lifestyle, eat good food, do regular exercises and refrain from addiction. Sure you will be able to stay away from cancer.

Be aware of any new growth, lump, changing moles, weight loss, unexplained and prolonged fever, bleeding from anywhere, etc. Seek medical help early you detect any of these symptoms. These are just general recommendations and I do not mean you would get them in the future based on the information you have shared.

As far as informing police is concerned, as I had mentioned earlier the police is not going to do anything for this!

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor