Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Accidentally inhaled corn chips which went down wind pipe. Have been coughing with burning chest. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
I had a chewed mouthful of dry corn chips in my mouth and accidentally inhaled and a heap of fine corn chip partials went down my wind pipe, I tried coughing them up with no luck, I have been coughing a lot and my chest is burning. how do I clear the chips out?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax, Normal mechanism. Examination required ASAP

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query.

Just relax now as the coughing is normal protective reflex mechanism to remove the foreign body. Since you told its fine particles the chance of obstruction of wind pipe is less but I advice you to better examined by your doctor to check whether the air entry to both side is normal. The burning feeling may be due to reactions the foreign body in lungs.

If air entry is normal then no need to worry and the particles will be removed by normal mechanism (coughing, absorption and ciliary movements).

If there is any obstruction (Complete or partial) then need to remove using bronchoscopy ASAP. You may require Chest x XXXXXXX to diagnose along with auscultation and also antibiotic therapy to prevent any bacterial infection.

So I advice you to consult you doctor once to rule out obstruction/ to treat it.

Hope these will help you in managing your problem. Feel free to ask if any queries, I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor