Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Accidental intake of mosquito repellent cream. Harmful?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5136 Questions
i ate odomos ( mosquitoe repellant cream- ingredient (12% N, N-diethyl-benzamide) by mistake??what should i do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

How much did you ingest

This mosquito repellant has a chemical which can cause breathing problem, vomiting, stomach pain, seizures as well. Do you have any of these symptoms

Firstly, remove all source of the cream from your body. Drink water. Wash your mouth and skin thoroughly. Remove clothes which may be contaminated with the cream.

It is ideal that you consult Doctor at Emergency Room immediately.

If you cannot go to the Hospital for unavoidable reasons and have taken less quantity, you can drink a glass of milk if vomiting has not yet occurred.
Watch for any f the above symptoms developing. If they do you need to go to the Hospital and you will be assessed and if required stomach wash will be done.

Do not delay.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Accidental intake of mosquito repellent cream. Harmful? 18 minutes later
I applied very little quantity as a toothpaste in my mouth by mistake and had vomitted and brushed immediately??
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later

As long as you have not swallowed it, there is less chance of reaction.

If you develop any vomiting, seizures, abdominal pain etc. do go to the Doctor immediately.

You should was your month and lips thoroughly with plain water. You can drink a glass of water or milk to reduce possible absorption from what has been swallowed.

Please avoid such incidents from happening further. Do be alert and keep things where they should be, other wise even children can get easily poisoned and nobody will know till it's too late. Keep out of reach from children and avoid any confusion.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor