question-icon

A rope like area from breast to the sternum area. Mammography stated abnormality. Is it a cyst or a lymph node?

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012
Question: I have a rope like area from the lower part of my left breast extending to the sternum area. I had an abnormal mammogram and an ultrasound in October, which was inconclusive. Radiologist questioned whether the area was a lymph node or a very small cyst and scheduled my for a follow up in 6 months. This area was in the upper part of my breast, just above my left nipple. Should I call my gyn. and schedule another appointment. The area is tender to touch, but no redness except I do have a large vein approx. 1 1/2 inches above this area, going across my breast that hasn't been visible before.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda (11 hours later)
I believe that you should get yourself examined by a professional. A gynaecologist or a surgeon will be able to help you. If any swelling or lump is noted, then a fine needle aspiration cytology or FNAC will be required.
For now, a thorough local examination including lymph nodes is necessary. If there is tenderness, as you mentioned, then it could possibly be an infectious process. Hence breast abscess also needs to be ruled out.
Please schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN