Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

A rope like area from breast to the sternum area. Mammography stated abnormality. Is it a cyst or a lymph node?

Answered by
Dr. Rhea Chanda


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3163 Questions

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Breast Cancer
Question: I have a rope like area from the lower part of my left breast extending to the sternum area. I had an abnormal mammogram and an ultrasound in October, which was inconclusive. Radiologist questioned whether the area was a lymph node or a very small cyst and scheduled my for a follow up in 6 months. This area was in the upper part of my breast, just above my left nipple. Should I call my gyn. and schedule another appointment. The area is tender to touch, but no redness except I do have a large vein approx. 1 1/2 inches above this area, going across my breast that hasn't been visible before.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I believe that you should get yourself examined by a professional. A gynaecologist or a surgeon will be able to help you. If any swelling or lump is noted, then a fine needle aspiration cytology or FNAC will be required.
For now, a thorough local examination including lymph nodes is necessary. If there is tenderness, as you mentioned, then it could possibly be an infectious process. Hence breast abscess also needs to be ruled out.
Please schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Breast surgery

doctor1 MD

hi, i just recently had bilateral breast reduction on may 2. everything was going ind until Sun i wasn t able to sleep because of body aches and chills. I discovered IV was left in my arm as well. to make a long story short i went and got some antibiotics and iv out. the dr. said i may have infection. i keep running a temp at night with my heart racing like someone is playing with some drums or something then it will stop and just slow down for a few minutes and start right back body seems to have a temp in my upper body around my neck or something. i haven t start sweating yet. but i can t sleep . oh feel to mention i have graves disease as well.

doctor1 MD

I am 68 yr old white female. Right side mastectomy 15 yrs ago, Now left breast has painful burning for past 5 days.--no lumps felt. Yearly mammograms detect no problems. Should this be a concern? Pain is not severe but burning is beginning to be a problem.

doctor1 MD

I started feeling pain under my breast a week ago. I went to the doctor today. I need a mammogram cause he felt a few small masses on both breasts. I just found out an hour ago that my grandmother & all of her sisters had a hysterectomy. Is it a safe bet that i need a mastectomy.

doctor1 MD

Hi, My left side has been sore for days. It feels like it is my rib cage, but I have noticed that running my hand up underneath my left breast is also incredibly sore. Tonight when I was trying to locate where the pain was coming from, I discovered what was like a cord-like, vein-like thing under my left breast . I can almost follow it down from under my left breast to where it hurts in my rib cage. Is this something that needs immediate medical attention. I am 30, female. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

What are the side effects of valium & Is yellow bruising normal after one week breast augmentation

doctor1 MD

I have calification Ina breast that I had classifications before 15 hrs ago and radiation with lump. Removed. Now. they want to do surgury and remove clarifications in same breasr. If. It is. Cancer. want to removebreast. Alsoihave a fracture of...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am due to have breast surgery soon, lumpectomy and auxiliary node op, I underwent a hysterectomy in May, before my surgery I was given pre medication to help relieve my extreme anxiety - and it worked! My surgeon is aware of my extreme...