59 yo female. No health history exp HBP. 2 days

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 in Cancer
Question: 59 yo female. No health history exp HBP. 2 days ago I noticed a pea sized semi hard nodule about an inch and a quarter down from my middle finger on my right hand plane X-rays were negative
My question is any idea what it could be and do I need follow-up inform of MRI or biopsy to rule out the worst case scenario and also if it does end up being the worst case scenario do you think I've caught it early enough? Thank you for your time there is no pain with a nodule and the only thing I can remember doing is reaching under the couch the other day so far and I felt like a twinge in my hand but other than that no direct injury to the area in question thank you I guess I'm just worried about things I read online like it could be a chondrosarcoma or something of the like thank you
Answered by Dr. Monish De 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy from nodule in right hand

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are habing nodule in right hand would advise you to go for a biopsy test to rule out cancer

You need to keep it under observation and do 6 monthly mri to see whether it is growing in size or not or if any pain developing

And yes if it is cancer such as chondrosarcoma you have detected early but stage only a Pet ct scan can tell

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Are cancers of the hand palm area rare?
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 1 minute later
Also you say MRI every six months to follow it but then you also say biopsy I wouldn't need to do both right?
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 18 minutes later
Please answer followup questions
Answered by Dr. Monish De 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In palm area cancer is rare

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes cancer of hand palm area is rare

If biopsy test comes out as positive then no nrrd of mri anymore

If biopsy negative then mri 6 month justvto observe the size and pattern of nodule and whether it is becominh suspicious or not