Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

50 years old have rheumatoid arthritis. Safe to go for stem cell injections?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2610 Questions
What is your opinion on stem cell injections for a rheumatoid arthritis victim of 50+ years having been diagnosed at 11yrs. Having had multiple prosthesis ops and in decline with no-one to help figure a plan. The intergrative wholistic Dr has let me down after having spent several thousand dollars.
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I empathize with your condition.

I was fortunate to be associated with few stem cell trials, so let me take this opportunity to answer your query. The results of stem cell therapy trials are yet to be established scientifically. Currently there have been mixed responses from specialists and their patients on whom the trials were conducted. And for someone of 62 years of age and with chronic condition spanning more than 50 years it might take plenty of time to show any positive results with such trials. As far my knowledge and experience they were not done for 60+ age group.

Therefore my sincere suggestion would be to continue with the regular treatment under the guidance of rheumatologist, physiotherapist and orthopedic. Keep telling your Rheumatologist that you wish to consider stem cell therapy when the results are optimistic.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for further discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor