Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

18 years old. Trying to increase height. What diet should be taken? Will creatine help?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11508 Questions

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm 18, 5foot 7in, I'm trying to to grow some where from 2-4 inches extra. My brother is a year younger and beats me by an inch, he eat ALOT though. What would you recommend I do, ad supplements. I just want these extra inches. Would creatine help?milk?strenthing and how? Give me examples. I think my spin could grow a little bit more, I went threw purity started at age 15.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Most persons reach their final height by the late teens though in rare cases some persons may continue growing into the early twenties.Your skeletal height is determined by the length and structure of our bones.
Our final height is influenced by genetic and enviromental factors. In terms of genetics , the heights of our parents plays the major role in our final height.
Enviromentally, factors such as adequate rest, limitation of alcohol, exercise, use of good diet, recurrent illnesses, certain medications can all affect the final height attained.
In terms of stretching, yoga and pilates, though exercises are not likely to increase your structural height they may help with standing taller which adds a few inches for some people. Yoga and pilates may strengthen core muscles to help you stand taller.
The main exercise programs that are thought to assist in stretching would be pilates and yoga which normally involve a lot of stretching exercises, in addition pilates involves a lot of exercises that are designed to strengthen our core (abdomen). This increase in core strength may help you to stand taller (they will not increase the length of your bones , just allow you to stand straighter).
An adult is said to need at least 7 to 9 hours of rest daily.
In terms of diet: include foods with calcium and vitamin D (low fat milk and cheese). XXXXXXX vegetables and nuts are also good sources of calcium.Replace carbohydrates with proteins such as fish, eggs, meat and legumes.
Eat vitamin XXXXXXX food such as vegetables, fruits, almonds and peanuts.
Avoid carbonated drinks, excess salt, sugar and fat.
There are no supplements that specifically increase height.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you I just want to add up 2inches. I got these pill called growth XXXXXXX plus I hope they work.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
There are many pills, injections etc available through internet which claim to increase your height. Growth XXXXXXX plus is one of them. Their effect is doubtful and do not waste your time, energy and money on them. There are no clinical trials available to support their efficacy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
How can I get a Growth spurts, like treak my body into Geting one.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
To produce extra Growth Hormone, develop an effective grow taller exercise program. Scientific studies have shown that the brain releases a larger quantity of GH after aerobic exercises.
You will have to do regular yoga and have a diet XXXXXXX in calcium. Improvisation of the body posture will also be helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on