what is the treatment for cleft uvula ?

my child is of 8 months old and she is having a cleft uvula... what will be the impact of this cleft uvula and what is the treatment for this..
Asked On : Tue, 4 May 2010
It causes difficulty in sucking. This creates negative suction effect leading to regurgitation through nose in cases of cleft palate. Due to abnormality in sucking and swallowing mechanism the milk often trickles on to the air passages causing chest infections, ear infections, defective in teeth alignment, hearing loss and speech problems.

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon Dr. Prakash Chhajlani's  Response
Cleft uvula looks innocuous and in some patients may never cause any problem.On clinical examination one has to insure if its a case of pure Cleft Uvula or a case of Sub Mucous cleft palate.You need to see a Plastic Surgeon who can make the diagnosis for you. The treatment is Surgical.If the milk and feeds come out from the nose the surgical possibility are higher.If you have more queries send a mail on,or see ,or for more details