small follicles bilaterally found in pelvic ultrasound

i had pelvic ultrasound done and small follicles bilaterally were found with no free fluid in the cul-de-sac what does this mean?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Jan 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Hi there,
I received my ultrasound and im unclear with the results.It states:Both ovaries are of normal appearance with small follicles bilaterally. there is a trace of free fluid within the pelvis.
Comments: The uterus appears unremarkable.There is a slip of fluid within the uterine cavity and a trace of free fluid within the pelvis.
What does that all mean in simple English?Should I be worried?
Radiologist Dr. Joe Antony's  Response
Hi, follicles are small "bubbles" or pimples that are normally seen in the ovaries. I need more details about the size and number of follicles to say if they are normal. Fluid collects in the cul-de-sac, that is space around the uterus, due to various causes. If there is no fluid in cul-de-sac, then it is normal. Sometimes, it is common to have fluid in this area following ovulation. Contact me with more details of your ultrasound report. If possible send the images (pictures) of the ovary also.