should i take Protein or not?

Hello Doctor, My name is Suman Kumar Singh. I am 27 years old, 172 CM Height 68 KG Weight. I have recently joined a fitness club. My instructor has advised me to take a product called "WHEY PROTEIN 100%" three times a day. However, I am not able not understand that why it is required to take so many times. Because I have read lot of times that excess use of Protein cause some helth problems. So, I need your suggestions on this issue whether I should take it or not. I am waiting for a favourable response from yourside. Thanks and regards,
Asked On : Sun, 21 Feb 2010
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic

WHEY PROTEIN 100% it is high protein drink, to build muscles they advised you to take. I believe you are vegetarian; you will not get that much protein from your diet. At least once a day you can take. Another two times you can have high protein foods like tofu(soy Paneer) Bengal gram, Black gram, Cow pea, Green gram, Lentils, Rajma, Soybean (Highest protein in this category but has moderate fat)
Cereals and Grains: Wheat germ
Nuts: like almonds, cashew nuts, groundnuts, sunflower seeds, water melon seeds etc., are also high in protein but contain high fat, Use them in small quantities to complement other sources of protein.
Milk and milk products: Cheese (high in fat), Paneer, Khoa, Thirattu pal - (From skimmed milk for low fat)

Excess of protein or any other nutrients do cause health problems. Since you are going for gym you will utilize protein whatever you will consume.
Daily protein intake should be a maximum of 1.4-1.8 g per kg body weight to enhance muscle protein synthesis or to make up for the loss of amino acid oxidation during exercise. At least try to have 100 grams of protein per day.
  Anonymous's Response

you can be a smart kid now. take sprouts, beans, soya etc which are similar to whey protein and they give the same power and energy. these are not pocket burning too. any comments or conclusions to aadvice suman kumar

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.