how long will it take to stop my period after taking norethisterone ?

I have been prescribed Norethisterone to stop my period if I start taking it tonight how long will it take before my period stops. He has prescribed me 1 tablet 3 times a day
Asked On : Wed, 19 Jan 2011
  Anonymous's Response
I also have been prescribed this medicine and the prescription says take Two, three times a day. but it doesn't say for how many days. I have very prolonged bleeding too and all messed up. i am also taking tranaxamic acid 2x 500mg 3 times a day for first 5 days of my period. now i am very confused about how long should i take this norethisterone for. any advice would be really helpfull.
  Anonymous's Response
Ive been take this as well for 5 days and still heavy spotting. Have had 2 heavy bleeds and large clots csnt wait for them to start working on have 5 days of tablets left. Hope they are working well for u
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
if you re having prolonged bleeding then norethistrone is given thrice a day.Usually the bleeding should start reducing in 48 hrs.