Why don't I have my period yet? I am 15

I am 15 and will be going into 10th grade when school starts up, but I still havent had my period. My mom started when she was 12. I have had discharge for about a year and a half and I have all the signs and everything else. I ve always been pretty thin and small for my age but I don t know if that will effect when I get my period or not. I m also really active in sports like tennis, dance and ice skating. When I went to my doctor recently, he said that if I don t have it when I m 16, they ll have to see what s wrong. And I really don t want to have to do that. So...why haven t I had my period yet? Is it just because I m small?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
It probably is because you're a little smaller - it could also be because of your activity level. Estrogen is stored in your body fat, so if you have low levels of body fat, you probably have lower levels of estrogen, too. That's why so many female marathon runners, etc., stop having periods while they are in serious training mode. I think if you have all the signs of it coming soon, it probably will sneak up on you one day and you'll wonder why you wanted it so badly! Stress can also sometimes interfere with your hormones so if you are stressing about it, it could actually interfere with your body's normal time table/rythm, as well. So just relax and, if you want to, ease up on all the aerobic exercise a little bit - your period will happen when it happens. Hope this helps.