Why does my heart race when I jump in a cold swimming pool ?

why does my heart race when i jump in a cold swimming pool? On holiday, whenever i jump into a pool, ( or get in quite quickly) My heart will race for around 5-10 minutes???? It does go, but its quite scary! Im going away soon and a bit scared to be jumping in the pool, its happened around 5 times now (im 32 and a bit unfit but nothing major)
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Initially it will increase because of vasoconstriction- your body constricts surface blood vessels to conserve heat for your vital organs. Blood pressure and heart rate increase whilst your muscles tense and shiver which generates more body heat, if the water gets colder you will then find that your HR and BP etc will actually decrease. Immersion into cold water increase the blood flow returning to the heart, causing a reflexive slowing of heart rate. Just make sure the water you jump into isn't too cold.