White, tough skin on septum, painful, peeling top layer. What could this be?

For years now, ive had this white tough patch of skin on the inside of the left side of my septum about 1/4 in. if I leave it alone it starts to hurt after a day or two. But if I peel the top layer off of it, (which is almost a hard scale-like piece) it goes away, but returns a week later. When this first started, it was a small bump, but now its grown quite a bit (it only started growing about a month ago). What could this be?
Asked On : Wed, 4 Apr 2012