Which specialist should one consult for operating the large lipoma at the top of the spine ?

Hello, My daughter has a very large lipoma at the base of her neck/top of her spine. Her GP says that due to its size and location it should be removed before it causes problems. She has been referred to a plastic surgeon . Is a plastic surgeon the right surgeon to perform this procedure? My concern is that it is on her spine. Since most of the procedures performed by plastic surgeons are cosmetic and reconstructive, how much experience would they have with lipoma removal particularly in such a risky area as the spine?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012