What is the treatment for kidney stone of 5 mm ?

the size of kidney stone is 5 mm.. wats the procedure to treat it? pls suggest since my friend suffers a lot of pain
Asked On : Tue, 10 May 2011
hi..welcome to healthcaremagic
5mm kidney stone passes out by itself..he has to take plenty of water,approx 6-7 litres...if conservative doesnt works then we can go for other treatment options

General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Hi welcome to healthcaremagic Forum

since the size of the stone is small , stone will get expelled in urine.. excess of water must be drunk, which will increase the urine flow out put... If the stone doesn't come out, then LITHOTRIPSY can be done , it is treatment in which the stone will be broken in to small fragments by High frequency Ultrasound waves.. consult a urologist..
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
If the renal stone size is 4mm or less, it will come out in its own by drinking plenty of water and if it more than 7mm, it should be removed or crushed by ESWL and if it is between 5 and 6 mm it may or may not come out. He should be drinking Plenty of water, if it doesn't help he can opt for Endoscopic Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL) after discussing it with his Urologist.
Take him to a Urologist at the earliest.

Good Luck.