What is the reason for prescribing Gestin during early pregnancy ?

my gynecologist has prescribed gestin tablet twice a day.I am 6 weeks pregnant now.I do not have any specific medical condition as such.will it be harmful for my baby and me.He asked me to take those tablets for four months. please advice as I understand that it is a progesterone tablet.Why should I take tablets if everything is normal?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012
Sexologist 's  Response
Hello Vidula,

Welcome on hcm.
Why do you so untrust on your treating doctor?
Always make a practice not to stop taking any medicine without taking permission from your treating doctor or if doctor advice so.
I think you are prescribed this medicine for your habit of abortion so they have to be taken till 9th month.
They are here to help you not to kill you.

Thanks

General & Family Physician Dr. Kamal Kishore Bandil's  Response
Hello Vidula,

Welcome on hcm.

Thanks