What is the cause of nausea and intense stomach pain that cause extreme hunger on subsiding ?

Last week I sent in my question about a GI disturbance. I was having nausea and severe pain in my upper left abdominal area and diarrhea . The answer I received is that it was probably a viral condition. I had these symptoms last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I was fine and then Saturday the pain and nausea returned (no diarrhea). Yesterday (Sunday) I was good again with just some minor quesiness in the morning. Today I have no pain or nausea but have had 3 bowel movements already (normal consistency). I am starving although I ate a normal breakfast about an hour and a half ago. I have had these episodes in the past that have lasted from 3 - 10 days. They consist of nausea and stomach pain but when the pain subsides I want to eat all the time. I cannot determine whether this is true hunger or a gnawing stomach pain. Do you think I should have some tests done like an endoscopy or ultrasound? Never had an endoscopy but have colonoscopies every 3 years which have been normal. Also blood work is normal except for underactive thyroid . Had an abdominal ultrasound a couple of years ago which was also normal? What do you think this could be and what steps should I take?
Asked On : Thu, 16 Feb 2012