What is the cause of increased pulse rate on running long distances ?

My Garmin heart rate monitor shows my pulse rising quickly from around 150 after running approximately 2 kms. On a 9 kms run my pulse appears to be going up to 238, however on a relatively hard cycle ride of 26 kms my pulse only raises to around 150. I run small distances regularly, about 7 kms three times a week, and I feel reasonably fit, although overweight - 5 11 & 87 kgs. Is the 238 bpm heart rate anything to worry about or is it a malfunctioning heart rate monitor?
Asked On : Thu, 22 Mar 2012