What is the cause of heavy bleeding during periods ?

Thanks a lot doctor for your reply, my gynecologist taken all the test as i get heavy bleeding , she has even done sonography. But she says there is no problem . it might get cured after i get married or need to be performed DNC. pls suggest me
Asked On : Fri, 5 Aug 2011
May 2013
The usual causes of heavy bleeding during periods (menorrhagia) are :
- In pubertal age group hormonal fluctuation can lead to heavy bleeding, which is called pubertal menorrhagia.
Sometimes this may extended for few years.
-Thyroid hormonal abnormalities can also lead to menorrhagia.
Usually in hyperthyroidism menorrhagic cycles can be seen.
-Structural causes like endometrial abnormalities, polyps, fibroids etc can lead to menorrhagia.
But as your ultrasound is normal, this possibility is less.
-Coagulation abnormalities can lead to excessive bleeding during periods.
In this case bleeding from other areas can be seen.
So, once go for coagulation profile and thyroid profile.
If no abnormality is detected in investigations, you can go for hormonal pills for few months.
Possibly this will help in regularization of the cycles.