What is enterobiasis ?

hi doctore tell me of entrobiasis
Asked On : Fri, 24 Jun 2011
Hi welcome to HealthcareMagic

Entrobiasis vermicularis is also called as Pin worm infection, it spread by feco oral transmission... personal Hygiene is very much necessary to eradicate the infection.. hand washing after defecation and before having food is very much essential to prevent auto inoculation... test to diagnose is by stool microscopy.. treatment is anti helmintics like Tab. Albendazole 400 mg, once at night for two days....
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Kiran Kumar's  Response
Hi Dawood. Thanks for posting your query.

E vermicularis is an obligate parasite; humans are the only natural host.

Patients with enterobiasis are often asymptomatic. Worms may be incidentally discovered when they are seen in the perineal region.

If patients are symptomatic, pruritus ani and pruritus vulvae are common presenting symptoms.
Enuresis may be a symptom in children with pinworms.

Mebendazole or albendazole are recommended as first-line treatment of pinworms. A second dose given 2 weeks after the initial dose helps prevent reoccurrences from reinfection.
Symptomatic relief of pruritus can be obtained by applying an antipruritic ointment or cream topically to the affected (usually perianal) region

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran