What food should be given to a 5 month old baby ?

sir, i just want to know can i give solid food for my 5th month old babay boy and what kind of food i can give him.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jul 2011
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
GOOD EVENING SARITAJI,
YOU CAN START WITH WEANING FOODS LIKE DAL WATER, RICE WATER IN 2-3 SPOONS A DAY AT A TIME, THEN GRADUALLY INCREASE TO 4-5 SPOON. ALSO SEE YOUR BABY CAN DIGEST WELL.
AFTER 6 MONTHS AGE YOU CAN GIVE MASHED BANANA & OTHER FRUIT PULP. ALSO CAN START FRUIT JUICE.
THANK YOU. HAVE A NICE WEANING PERIOD.
DR DIPTI ALPESH SHAH

General & Family Physician Dr. Meeta Misra's  Response
Hi you can start giving solid or weaning food to the baby now. You should start with Dal water first. Look out for any indigestion problems.Then gradually start mashed fruits, mashed potatoes, thin sooji kheer, Kichdi and so on.
when you start giving solid food , give water also
Good luck
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, saritaji,
Thanks for query,
You can start giving solid food at the age of 4-5 months.
start with half to one teaspoon of iron fortified rice and vegetable fruit.
Gradually increase upto one table spoon,initially two times and then increase according to need of child.
continue breast feeding.
gradually at 6 months you can add another cereal like oat,barley and strained vegetables.
ok and bye.