What does it mean by otitis media ?

One of my relative went to dr and dr said he is suffering from otitis media. What is otitis media?
Asked On : Mon, 5 Dec 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Otitis media means inflammation of the middle ear. It can occur in one or both ears. Otitis media is the most frequent diagnosis recorded for children who visit physicians for illness. It is also the most common cause of hearing loss in children.
Although otitis media is most common in young children, it also affects adults occasionally. In temperate climate, it occurs most commonly in the winter and early spring months.
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
Ottis media means swelling of eardrums which is painful and which sometimes causes discharge from ears if there is perforation of eardrums.This is mostly caused by common cold which causes blocking if nose due to congestion which can spread to the ear thru eustachian tube present in the throat.Hope this information helps you.