What could cause my son to cough up raw chicken like looking matter ?

My son is 2 1/2 and I took him to his doctor yesterday bc his fever had gotten up to 103 and he had been having coughing fits and hacking up clear mucus, weezing, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat. They told me that it appeared to be pneumonia so we started antibiotics yesterday. Tonight he had another cough fit and finally coughed up pink chunky matter and a piece of raw-chicken looking matter, probably 1 x1/2 and flat. I am concerned that this is not a symptom of pneumonia and that it could be something more serious.
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jan 2012