What could be the cause for unexplained small, dark bruises on body?

what can cause unexplained bruises on the left side on my fiance s body. I took a picture with my web cam of the worst of them but it didn t come out very well. He also has smaller and not so dark bruises up the rest of the side and gets them on his right side, and basically sometimes anywhere on his body. I heard of an illness that can cause this that is fatal and I would really like an oppinion, sugesstions, or maybe even a guess what it could be. Thank you very much, Kristine
Asked On : Sun, 29 Apr 2012