Weight loss, light headedness, fainting, low heart rate. EKG shows bradycardia. Why is thyroid replacement needed?

my mother has lost approxiamately 45 in the last 6 months, unintentional. She has recently complained of being light headed and has a few episode where she nearly fainted. She denies any other problems. We went to see our family Nurse Practitioner. She told my mother that her heart rate was a little low and order a EKG . She also has lab work done. The results were called today. EKG normal other than mild bradycardia . She also said her tsh was a little elevated and they would call in a low dose synthroid . She wants to do a echo and a 24hr holter monitor . I don t understand why she would need thyroid replacement if tsh is elevated. Any ideas
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012