Viral cold, blocked ear, nausea, shivering, Metronidazole effective ?

I ve had a cold virus with blocked left ear for 7 weeks now. Saw GP 3 weeks ago but nothing prescribed. Now feeling quite unwell with nausea, shivers , still blocked ear - general coldy symptoms. Bank holiday today so cannot see GP. Have a course of Metronidazole in cupboard which I didn t take/need as it was a second script for an inflamed impacted wisdom tooth a few months ago. Can I take these as of today and will they be effective in clearing ear?
Asked On : Thu, 12 Apr 2012