Upper spinal X-ray indicates a compression fracture, no instance of trauma. Is MRI required for further investigation?

My husband had an upper spinal X-ray done at an urgent care center because of pain he had been having for a few weeks. The doctor there said that two of the disks looked slightly closer together and could indicate a compression fracture , and that he should get an MRI to investigate further. My husband is a healthy 32 yr old with no known traumatic event that could have caused this -- I read that this can happen with bone cancer???
Asked On : Thu, 25 Oct 2012