Unconscious after a heart surgery. Normal CT scan, ultrasound and blood reports. Have pacemaker. Infection spread to brain. What could be the further treatment plan?

My brother who is 49 and awaiting surgery for an infection to the artery (heart) suddenly went unconscious three days ago. He has had CT scans, ultrasounds and all kinds of bloodwork and everything has come back negative. The doctors are baffled because they don t know why he isn t waking up. Surgery has been at this time cancelled and he is on a heavy regiment of antibiotics to control the infection. He can t have an MRI because he has a pace maker. They did another CT scan, this time going down the throat , they feel the infection may have spread to his brain. He showed temporary improvement on Monday and could squeeze a hand on command and they were hoping to get him off the ventilator but unfortunately now he is not responding to touch.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012