Ultrasound shows fibroid in uterus. Heavy, painful periods. Discomfort in uterus, contractions. What could this be?

Hi my name is Liz I am 31 years old and have a 15 month old son. Since I was 16 years old I have suffered from ovarian cysts and was diagnosed with adenomyosis 2 years ago at which point my husband and I were advised to have child as soon as possible. The most recent ultrasound done about 3 months ago found a fibroid in the uterus . Since having my son my periods are heavier and much more painful. However for the last 2 months I have had discomfort in the lower right region of my uterus during my periods I can almost pinpoint the area and this morning my period start with the usual pain however became more intense like contractions, the contraction feeling would last about 1-2 minutes and stop for about 2 minutes and this continue for about 2 hours, the worst of the pain was in the right side where I normally feel this other pain. I know I am not pregnant however I am concerned. Do you have any ideas what this could be. Please any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013