USG PVR suggested for pain under the rib and lower abdomen. What is this test for?

Dear Doctor, Greetings!! I had gone for a general check-up for pain under left rib and in lower abdomen , my doctor has prescribed me for USG PVR. What does this test mean and what will it help in evaluating? While I was browsing about pain under left rib and in the lower abdomen, I was getting very bad results online. For left rib pain, people have been struggling to find the reason and some have even been diagnosed with some dreadful diseases like lymphoma . How can I make sure, I am safe? I am not a hypochondriac but these symptoms have been with me for a few months.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013