Trying to get pregnant. Stopped eating sodium valporate. Will this have any side effect on pregnancy?

My wife s age is 37, height 61 inch., weight is 50 Kg, she is taking sodium valporate for last 2.5 years, presently 200 mg/day. She wants to get pregnant. Neuro surgen allowed to stop taking it from next month. Can she now get pregnant without any danger of the fetus as sodium valporate has few side effects on pregnancy. How long does the effect of sodium valoporate stay in the body after stopping it. When is the safe period for getting pregnant?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
If neurosurgeon of your wife has allowed to dicontinue the sodium valporate,you can discontinue it and plan pregnancy without any danger of teratogenic defects.The movement you discontinue the drugs,its level in blood start decreasing.
The half life of sodium valporate is between 8 and 80 hours.Drug takes four half lives to get completely excreated from body.So there will be no drug in the blood of your wife after 12 days.
You can plan pregnancy accordingly.
Hope this answers your question.
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
You can plan pregnancy accordingly.
Hope this answers your question.