Treated for 4th stage of lung cancer. Taken chemo. Hands swelling. What could be the reason?

A friend who stays with us was treated for stage IV lung cancer which metasasized to his brain. He had the brain tumor taken out and part of his lung. He went thru 6 rounds of chemo before his benefits ran out which was about 7 months ago. Now his hands are swelling and since he is not going to the doctor, I have no way of knowing what is going on. Can you please advise me what this could be and other symptoms to watch out for?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012