Tot under treatment for viral fever, has persisting fever, taking medicines. Could this be any thing other than virus?

hi, my 2 yr old son has had a recurrent fever for the past 6 days. he has a runny nose and a dry cough . His physician says he caught a virus and she prescribed childrens advil for the fever and HISTOL for the cold sympthoms. this was 3 days ago and the fever is still persistant. I am very worried. he has never had a fever this long and i am wondering if it could be something other than a virus.( i live in the caribbean)
Asked On : Wed, 5 Sep 2012