Tiredness, breathlessness, lightheadedness. Have angina. Suggest?

I am feeling very tired and getting breathless just from walking upstairs and or straining to go to the loo makes me light headed. my doc just increased my bp tabs as it was high even after taking my meds ... also my heart beats really fast. both parents and grandparents have angina and my mum died from a massive heart attack at 69
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Dec 2012

Well from your description, the fact that you already hypertensiven, family history of cardiovascular disorder and you are presenting with the above mentioned symptoms is strongly suggestive of heart failure (probably at an earlier stage). Angina pectoris is usually significantly associated to stabbing or throbbing pain on left side of chest which could be during an effort (stable angina) or at rest (unstable angina). During efforts, you could develop breathless, fatigue and other symptoms such as lightheadedness + palpitation etc. If you do not have a left side chest pain then it is most unlikely going to be angina.
There are other possible causes of your symptoms like anemia ( of any origin), asthma (will have other pathognomic symptoms), chest infections (other signs of infections must be generally be present), overweight, ischemic heart diseases (already mentioned= angina) etc.
What to do now? Meet a cardiologist for complete clinical, laboratory and imagery evaluation to determine your disease and the cause, then provide appropriate treatment.
Your antihypertensive medications should be checked too before increasing the dosage as might also be the cause. Do discuss with your doctor.

Hope this helps

Cardiologist, Interventional Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal's  Response
Hello and welcome

You did not mention your age, i asume you may be of young age. As per your history you should undergo complete cardiac checkup by cardiologist. He may suggestive ECG, ECHO & TMT which will rule out your possibility of heart disease.

Thank you for your queary

Wish you Healthy Heart