Tightness in throat, lump sensation on swallowing, diagnosed with GERD. Will stopping caffeine help?

Yes, I have a constant feeling of my throat being squeezed and feeling and when I swallow , it feels like there is a lump in my throat. I have been diagnosed with GERD and am hopeful that if I go off all caffeine (coffee, alcohol, tea, and diet drinks) this feeling will subside. Have you ever heard of this and will it subside if I follow strict diet of what I drink (i.e., only water)? Thanks much!
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Pulmonologist 's  Response
you feels like there is a lump in throat,
usually it is seen in females as hysterically with out any lesion in throat
so you have to check out by endoscopy in throat.
you also reduce caffeine
you go first to your GP for endoscopy

General Surgeon Dr. Hari Charan Perigela's  Response
GERD is very common condition in our area.
If at all you are having a feeling of lump in the throat and difficluty while eating or swallowing it can be upper respiratory tract infection.Get it excluded first.
GERD may also cause these symptoms.
There will be response if you stop all the stomach irritants like Coffee,alchohol,diet drinks etc.If you are a smoker,stop it also.
Please eat regularly in time,eat plenty of green leafy vegetables,avoid spicy foods.
Even after diet restriction,if it not controlled,please take drugs like PPI inhibitors along with Prokinetic agents with the advice of your Gastroenterologist.
Please reduce your tensions and be calm.
Wish you good health.

General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
I have gone through your post in which you have mentioned as being diagnosed with GERD.
Gastro esophageal reflux disease, is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.
Medical management consist of taking Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach)
Metoclopramide can also be used but it has some side effects on long term usage.
Also avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
Try to sleep on the left side, or with your upper body raised.
If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist.
There is no need to will be fine.
Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.
Thanks & Take care.