Taking zithromax for bronchiectasis. Antiniotics suggested for life long. Side effects?

Hi, My husband ,age 61, has been diagnosed with Bronchiectasis , and put on Zithromax , 250 mg. He s just started his second month of this med, and has developed red itchy spots on his stomach. His pulmonologist wants him to be on an antibiotic for the rest of his life. Is this side effect serious enough that he should stop immediately or wait to speak to the specialist? I gave him a .25 benedryl and the itching has stopped, but the spots are still there and very red. Thank you
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013