Taking medroxyprogesterone. Periods regular. Had spotting. Later, had sex. Now having bleeding. Reason?

I have been taking medroxyprogesterone for five months and my period has been regular each month. I always wait 24 hours to have sex though. The past two months, I would stop my period, and wait the 24 hours. However, I would spot for two days following sex (just that one time, not the rest of the month). This month I only spotted, waited 24 hours and then had sex. I started bleeding shortly after. What could be wrong?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Bleeding after sex needs to be investigated.
Bleeding can occur due to cervical erosion, cervicitis or cervical cancer.
You need to consult your gynecologist for clinical examination.
The cervix needs to be examined and some investigations need to be done.
Pap test is the first investigation which should be done.
In Pap test the cervical lining is scraped off using a spatula.
The scrapings are stained and viewed under the microscope.
The cells of the cervix are examined to look for any malignant change.
Management can be planned thereafter.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal