Taking hydromorph contin for back and knee pain. Is it safe to increase the dosage?

I am on 12 mg daily of hydromorph contin for back and knee pain. my knee was replaced on April 03,2013 and it is still very painful. hydromorph contin has little effect on the knee pain. hydromorh conton was prescribed by my family
physician and he is hesitant to increase the dosage. A pain management specialist said thatt I can take 18 mg
without any problems. What should I do? The pain is bad that it affects my quality of life in that I am very restricted
in any physical activity.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013