Taking Nexito for anxiety. Want to confirm if Valproate is safe

Hi, I am 29 years old male and on treatment for anxiety. I was taking Nexito plus ( escitalopram + clonazepam ) for more than 2 years before the effect of medicine stopped some 3-4 months ago. I have moved since I last saw my Dr so I contacted him on phone for the advice. He suggested Franxit ( Flupentixol + Melitracen) & Mirtaz 7.5 mg (for problems with sleep). But now I feel that I dont have stability against anxiety that I had with Nexito plus. But I cant consult with the old Dr. I consulted the only psychiatrist in the my home town. He has suggested encorate chrono 300 ( sodium valproate ) and serta 50 (setraline). I want to confirm if valproate is right for me as its an anticonvulsant . And I have read that it has several side effects also. Please assist
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013