Taking Epilim and Tegretol for epilepsy. Memory problem, mood swings. Due to medication?

Hi, My husband is taking Epilim Chrono 300mg 1 tablet twice daily and Tegretol 100mg 2 tablets twice daily. He has epilepsy and this is well controlled by the drugs, in fact in the 9 years we have been together he hasn t suffered a seisure. He has some problems with his memory , in that he can not remember long term very well at all. He is sometimes very sleepy or alternatively very hyperactive. He has quite severe mood swings and often doesn t seem to understand the content of quite simple sentences when in this state. He often misinterprets what is said to him. He will go from extreme anger one day to very affectionate the next. I am wondering if the drugs are affecting his moods. Please can you offer some advice.
Asked On : Sun, 4 Nov 2012