Taking Amitriptyline for mental illness. Excessive alcohol consumption. Is this dangerous?

Hi, I have a friend visiting (known each other since age 14) from the US (I m in UK) who is aged 46. She has a history of mental problems. I note she has been prescribed amitriptyline to take at bedtime (10mg) I believe. She is drinking an unbelieveable amount of alcohol (I am convinced she is an alcoholic) and everything I read about this drug says do not drink. She is here with her children, aged 12 and 10, and her mother, aged 71. They are renting a car and she is driving. Everything I read says this is not a good situation. She is only here until 17th July. I have been wondering what to do. I think her US doctor doesn t know she drinks like she does. Any ideas? Thank you, D
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012