Swollen toe, dark purple colour. Is it because of shoes? Treatment?

Hello, today when I woke up I kept scratching a spot on the side of my big toe , I just assumed it was a mosquito bite and it was really itchy. However, during the day it started getting extremely sensitive so that when I touched it, it would hurt so much and walking with my shoes hurt too. Tonight when I checked the spot again, it had swollen and turned a dark purple color with a vein or blood vessel or something sticking out. I have no idea what happened? It may have to do with the shoes I wear everyday but how do I heal it? Thanks!
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012