Swollen thumb, hard lump under skin, purple coloration. Taken painkillers

Hi Dr Christensen I m a female 27 years, and have worked as a butcher for 12 . Over the last week or two my right thumb has swelled so much it feels like glass Under the skin ,there s also very hard, bone like lumps under the skin , that don t pertrude any more than swelling , I can just feel them when I press apon it. also a purple tinge to the skin of the thumb and the discolour seems to cut off right at the joint . It s painfully tight and even if I try to coach it to bend, the tension inside leaves no flexibility. Also the thumb is much hotter than the rest of my hand with some intense throbbing that comes and goes. I ve only taken painkillers and iced it at night , neither seem to have had any effect. Does any of this sound familiar to you? Thank u so much for your time Merry Christmas Tessa
Asked On : Tue, 25 Dec 2012
From your description it seems that you are having an infection in your thumb. It is likely to be an abscess. You need to get it examined from your physician and a surgical drainage of the pus might be needed along with systemic antibiotics for relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal