Swollen, sore, painful right tonsil, thump sound in ear. Strep test done. Home remedy for recovery?

Hi, for the past two weeks my right tonsil has been feeling like it has a sore on it. i went to my doctor a 4 days after the pain started hurting and he said my left tonsil was swollen. for the last two days, my ear has begun making a thump sound constantly. i checked out my tonsils again and my left tonsil has swollen up even more than before. (my doctor also says he believes its mono and the strep test came back negative) is there any home remedy that will make the swelling start to go down quickly? (i have been doing salt water treatment everyday)
Asked On : Fri, 10 Aug 2012