Swollen gum in between the teeth. White lines on the gums. Do I have mouth cancer? Have the habit of smoking

Hello, on the left side of my mouth my gums are swollen inbetween two teeth and the whole left side of my gums are red and tender. The lining of my gums hurt and there is white lines. Also underneath my jaw (i think it is my glands) hurt to touch. What could this be and should I see and doctor or a dentist? Thank you for your help. I am really worried this is the beginning stages of mouth cancer . I am scared because I did smoke on and off for 7 years. I am 23 now.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012