Swollen and redness in toe after cutting toenail short, painful, prescribed Keflex. What do I do?

I cut my toe nail really short about two weeks ago. This morning I woke up and my baby toe is so swollen and red that it feels like it s going to explode. It hurts to touch or walk on. I went to the doc he put me on 2 500mg kflex 2 times a day and said to soak in epsion salt. But the pain is so bad I can t even think and there s a red line going up my foot to my ankle. What do I do
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012

Thanks for writing here.

It seems you are having infection on your toe.Infection at this site are always painful.

You need to take higher antibiotics like amoxyclav 625 mg two times daily along with strong anti inflammatory drugs .

At times they require surgical treatment.

Apply ice or cold compresses over it.

If no improvement then better to consult the doctor.

I hope this will solve your problem.Take care.